Sunday, March 23, 2008

Moments: Departure

My dam breaks as I sight loved ones wearing faces of pride, love and anxiety. The many calls from Mama bidding me farewell. I recall the warnings from S.B that I was or would be afraid; the fear that she was or could be correct.



Separation from my sanctuary, my church, my car. Memories of the arduous task of preparation flood my mind. Warnings of potential dangers from Zakariah at the Algherian embassy: “The South of Algeria is very vast and we cannot assure your safety. There are bandits there who live under the sand; and they can thief (verb) you. You know the story of the French men? You know the Dakar Rally? You know why they cancel it? Know this, this delay is for your own safety. We cannot give you visa to die.”



Hands interlocked in prayer for the team as we set out across the Sahara. Final doubts. Have I read enough? Do I know enough? Will this journey change my life? How will this change my life? Will my thirst for travel be finally quenched after this trip? Will I now be still? Seme Palms bend westward and whistle their welcome to Benin Republic.




1 comment:

Meidi said...

What a beautiful place! Do this would not really a pity that all this disappears?

Meidi Arab Gulf Agency Rabat